EDUC 230 Teaching with Multimedia Technology

Self Reflection One

Interactive

Among my experiences within a classroom working with students and being exposed to various innovative technologies from this education 230 class, I highly believe that the SMART Board is one of the most effective ways to enhance learning in the classroom. A SMART Board is usually an interactive white screen. The SMART Board creates interactive approaches for students by using multiple ways to promote their understanding of peer interaction. In addition, there are many technology tools that are usable for students to increase their interactive opportunities such as Voice Thread, Funbrain, BrainPop and Brain Pop Jr, Slido, and Kahoot. Thinking of the technology tool that would be most effective for students interacting together with their peers would be Kahoot. Kahoot is used on the SMART Board to generate assessments, to create interactive breaks from traditional classroom activities, for multiple choice questions, and for quizzes which improve student’s based learning platforms.     

My ideas about using different technology tools changed on how I can contribute my skills to educate students. I was able to benefit from learning new ways to provide opportunities for students to interact with one another by using technology tools such as Voice Thread and Funbrain. When thinking of my growth related to my experience before taking education class 230 and now by reading the article “8 Ways Technology Improves Education”written by Julia Morison. Some characteristics of traditional learning are memorization and recitation techniques but to avoid students not to struggle is the goal. One citation is “In traditional learning it is sometimes difficult for students to get a concept.”(Morison. p. 2) With students having the opportunity to understand certain concepts technology teaching could eventually help them even further. Another citation is “Digital simulations and models can help students not only better understand various disciplines, but also get acquainted with the wonders of the modern world.”(Morison. p. 2) Choosing the correct techniques and allowing students to learn how to use the software of the technology tools could be effective ways of learning. It’s very important that we improve interactions among students to get them engaged. There are so many learning tasks that improve student’s retentions of new concepts. 

My specific plans for continuing my growth as a future educator are to improve my knowledge with using different technology tools to elevate student learning. Additionally, using technology to prepare effective lessons in a more strategical manner to help students understand various concepts. Lastly, to provide opportunities where students could utilize effective ways to adapt to learning the materials given and confront any difficulties they encounter. There was an education quote that a teacher in junior high school told me that stayed on my mind which is “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” (Nelson Mandela) Effective teaching is what I know must be required to increase my student’s creativity, imagination, and innovation.